4/02/2012

This book is my baby: "Trust Me"

(This will include spoilers whether I am aware or not.)

This would be related to my recent blog post about Gay Romance books that had me fussing over. I would not deny that I have a total of 3 books on that theme as ultimate favorites and the book that I am about to introduce you, not certainly my number 1 but this is the only successful book that ever related Religion and Sexual preference in a flawless, smooth, and "earth-friendly" plot. Jeff Erno has what it takes to set the bar on being respectful but outright blunt on what he sees on society today. There is no downplaying and how painful it is to read such facts that could be happening and still happening at this moment, so let me indulge as to reasons why I admire this book.

Trust Me by Jeff Erno
RATED 5/5
I would advice you to read the book first because you might not follow me on this one, but nevertheless here's the synopsis via Goodreads: "Shawn Graham and Bobby Wilder couldn't be more different. Shawn is a devout Christian fundamentalist from northern Michigan; Bobby is a street-smart latchkey kid from southern Ohio. From an early age, they are both confused and troubled by their attraction to the same sex. Shawn believes that homosexuality is sinful, and a traumatic incident of childhood sexual abuse adds to his guilt and shame. Bobby has an image to maintain and flatly denies the possibility that his same-sex attractions even exist. He's just too cool to be gay. When they finally connect, their preconceptions are suddenly dwarfed by what they feel for each other. They become inseparable and fall deeply in love; however, love doesn't make life easy. Plans are in motion that will surely devastate the young couple. Painful experiences of the past overshadow happy memories, and heartbreaking obstacles loom over the possibility of a future. If Shawn and Bobby want to stay together, they will have to fight with everything they have." Give it to Jeff to rightly put the situation to a religious and innocent boy which frankly picture wholesomely a lot of kids in our time. If you think kids these days are out there doing drugs, having sex and etc. You'd be surprise that a lot more is still on the act of purity such as Shawn, be it a boy or a girl. And another reason is that you will see mostly strict religious people are condemning the same-sex relationship act. So why not hit them right where it will hurt in the words: "What if you were in their situation".

What got me really going on for this story is the difference and comparison of upbringing between Shawn and Bobby. People would start to say that "Oh, Shawn lived in a perfect family and Bobby didn't" which I am going to laugh at you because the situation isn't like those stereotype movies. (Having a hard time explaining while not giving everything out) Shawn may be like one of those boys who are annoyingly nice but there is a bit of darkness on how he downplay himself. He always thinks he's a sinner even when the situation isn't his fault. While to Bobby, he's pretty a good guy himself but only to be roughen up because he hated being rejected. Yes, he does drugs. Yes, he smokes but what I love about this more is how Shawn doesn't really and I think never openly commanded or even pleaded Bobby to stop his habits even him being so upright and all. The reality of the situation basically captures me. If you have a girlfriend or a boyfriend or just know anyone who practically lives to command people what to do with their lives, they'd be dead right now. Or worse, shunned.

Second, I loved where the moment where Shawn's mother (the perfect example of a denying parent) had to deal with Shawn's gender, though how much she loved her own son, she made some wrong choices and got the devastating results. I love also where there is no parent here that was openly and ready to shun any offspring of them just because of being gay. Because does people like that really exist? Is there some really greater evil where a parent just readily going to stop loving their own flesh and blood because of a "defect"? I don't think so. Mostly because we are humans, sure we do unforgivable deeds, but where do we really pass the border to just plain evil? Again, I think that would never happen.

Third, the issue on how many kids end up getting killed or doing suicide because of the lack understanding from people who actually matters. Sure, the internet would accept them (Head to tumblr and you'll meet open-minded people there) and other social groups that protects Gay-rights but still no matter what doesn't get the plain acceptance from the poeple who was supposedly believed that no matter what, gay or not, tall or short, they would be the same person. It's sad really, so I wouldn't deny I cried my heart out to this book.

Kudos to my man, Jeff Erno. Thank you for the awesome book. (I would kill for a sequel though) And I hope a lot of people get to read this book, because it really tackles a lot of things that probably a many of people religious or not cannot answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment